WESLEY HIGH SCHOOL, ( Kalmunai WESLEY ) was established in 1883 and to commemorate its 136th year celebration in the sphere of education on 29 June 2019. This college has served all the community splendidly offering the wholesome education which the great philosopher ‘ PLATO ’ defined as the first and the latest thing that the best of men and women can ever have.
History of the College
The Methodist Missionaries who set foot on the beautiful Sri Lankan soil at Weligama on the 29 June 1814 in 19th century to extend sound education in the pearl. The missionary, Rev William Ault stayed at Batticaloa for eight months and established 8 schools in the East including Methodist Central College at Batticaloa.
The Superintendent Minister of Methodist Church, Kalmunai Rev J Trimmer established Girls Boarding School (GBS) at Kalmunai in 1883. Though the education was banned for women then, English education was taught in the school through the mother tongue. It was registered and approved on 30 November 1883 as the first school in this district with 18 pupils on roll in a cadjan shed. Mrs Jane Weerakuddy was then the teacher and Mr S Govinthar, a warden. In accordance with the educational policy, the Girls Boarding School reverted to a Tamil School in 1929 and teaching optional English for one period a day.Tamil was the medium of language in the region for men in the 20th century.
The Superintendent Minister of the Methodist Church, Kalmunai Rev Gabriel Leese realized the importance of English education and formed Boys English School in Kalmunai. This Boys School was registered as an English School and was named ‘ Leese High School.
It is worth mentioning that although Leese High School remained a small school, it counted among its old boys such as Lawyers, Police Heads, Principals, Teachers, Doctors, Engineers, Members of Parliament, Educationalist, Traders and Business Magnates.
‘ MUTHTHAMIL VITHTHAHAR SWAMI VIPULANANDAR ’, ‘ PULAVARMANI PERIYATHAMPIPPILLAI ’, Professor MA Nuhman, former Ministers MM Mustafa, AR Munsoor, MHM Asraff, former Members of Parliament SM Rasamanikam, Pon M Selvaraja, C Chandrakanthan, AK Kodeeswaran, former Inspector General of Police TE Anandaraja, former High Court Judge P Swarnaraj and many more were educated in the school.
Although talks of amalgamating these two institutions namely ‘ Girls Boarding School and Leese High School ‘ had been going on for a long period of time, it actually came into being in May 1953. These two schools were amalgamated under a new name of ‘ WESLEY HIGH SCHOOL ‘ on the same year by the Missionaries with the Motto of ‘ Utmost for the Highest ’ It is still illuminating as a mixed school in the similar name with the roll of 1954 including the academic & nonacademic staff of 101.
‘ DEAF LINK ’ an institution for the inclusive kids powered by the METHODIST MISSION of Srilanka had been included in the school in 2008 during the period of former Principal Late Pon Murugiah with 22 students and still be functioning with 57 students under the Motto of ‘ Tender Friendly Guidance for Better Life ’ in the institution.
The children who are reading here suffering from Learning disabilities, Speech & Language impairment, Mental Retardation, Hearing defect, Emotional Disturbances, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairment, Visual Impairment, Deaf ,Blindness, Autism, Brain Injury and many other psycho disorders. Six teachers guide them on a dedicated manner.
The school society, SDC, PPA, and well-wishers extend their fullest support and lend hand in every aspect of activity willingly. The PPA of 1965 constructed a ‘ SCOUT HOUSE ’ and the PPA of 1978 fashioned a richly looking ‘ FRONT ENTRANCE ’ to the institution. ‘www.kalmunaiwesley.com’ keeps world united as a well-knit family linked to each other and to their Alma-Mater. This link, year in and year out, never lets their Alma-Mater go out of their hearts and mind though the relentless march of life had taken them away from her.
Free Education Scheme
The college was found by the missionaries with the main intention of imparting English education and also to instill an atmosphere of Christian culture and tradition. The missionaries realized that the education is to be imparted with a religious environment. To create this mission, they built a spacious CHAPEL with an artistic design to accommodate children for holy prayers. The ceremonial opening of the chapel was a great event then. This old chapel is now converted as a Hall and still stands as a Symbol of the vision of Rev Gabriel Leese. Later, the college was skilled to receive funding and became a grant in Aid Institution. Consequently buildings were constructed depending on the needs. Prize day of the college is also held every year.
Free Education was introduced in 1945 and the college had joined the scheme. The college consumes grades from 1 to 13 including all the 6 streams in the GCE (A/L). All the communities learn here without any discrimination. It has all the streams in GCE (A/L). A nursery school is also officiating for the tiny tots. The college has unique relationship with School society, Ministry of Education, Zonal and Provincial Departments of Education, Head of all the neighbouring Government and Non-Government organizations. The college progressed steadily and due to the efficiency and selfless service of the past principals, staff and school society, it was elevated to the positions of 1 ‘AB ’ school. The college located in 6.2 acres with facilitated playground which is used both by the school society and the students. The college functioned efficiently till outbreak of the civil war time to time. The college had several educated, dedicated, civilized and disciplined principals who piloted the affairs of the college to the greatest satisfaction of the school society. It has celebrated its 125th jubilee and a souvenir was also published to mark the historical event.
The past principals were not only a great educationist, but also able administrators par excellence with high degree of discipline and matriarchal instincts towards their charge.
There was a tremendous improvement in all aspects of education such as social, academic and non-academic affairs with their dynamic organizing skills. Their main goal were to enable the children to imbibe high moral value of life to inculcate selfless qualities to cultivate good habits and build up good character that will make them serve themselves as well as the larger society.
They were exceptional with extraordinary and exemplary character, wisdom, culture and leadership. They served the college with distinction, indefatigable, energy, undaunted determination, unimpeachable integrity, firmness and total devotion and commitment. Their enormity was unique.
Spiritual and Cultural Aspirations
The commemoration of the great college fills us with the righteous pride and pleasure. It is very often said ‘ A man may build a ship, but a woman handles the captain in whose hands the ship is, but a slave. ’ The flame of wisdom and brilliance imparted to students by the college will certainly permeate one’s very being and make one shine to dispel the gloom of poverty and ignorance.
The principals namely Rev GJ Trimmer ( 1883 – 1929 ), Miss Babara Atkins( 1930 – 1940 ), Miss Grace K Thiliampalam( 1941 – 1952 ), Mr MG Nallathamby( 1953 – 1954 ), Mrs R Cinniah( 1955 – 1961 ), Mr SJ Wilson( 1962 – 1971 ), Mr Yogam Velluppillai( 1972 – 1979 ), Mr K Subramaniam( 1980 – 1981 ), Mr S Mahalingam( 1982 – 1983 ), Mr B Vengadasalam( 1984 – 1997 ), and Mr P Murugiah( 1998 – 2008 ) served as principals in the moral college with strong-minded enthusiasm and tenacity.
Mr Vadivel Prapakaran who joined in teaching as his noble career and promoted gradually to an In-charge Principal in 2009. He is SLEAS holder and administrator equivalence superiority with great unit of chastisement and matriarchal makeups towards his responsibility. There is a ring of authenticity and nobility of courage and earnestness in whatever he does. He is constantly pragmatic and practical in his approach to the issue of the college. He has been still on the way towards the mission of the institution with untiring dedication and determination.